Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bufanda!

Hola!!
The past two days have mostly been exploring the city here I live in along with Madrid which is about a 30 minute train ride away from Alcala.
First we got a tour of Alcala on Wednesday. The most pretty little town I have ever seen so far. I am going to love walking these streets everyday. Actually, the best part of this day was coming home to hambergesas!! The day before, all our mom would talk about was hamburgers from America and how great they were. So she made some for us! These were not your typical greasy nasty nast burgers. It was a high class gourmet burger. Well not exactly, but our mom makes super good hamburgers for sure. The following pictures are of Alcala de Henares.

These stork nests are on every rooftop in Alcala! They are huge too. I could probably curl up into one easy.
Today we got the tour of Madrid! Only it was the third most stressful morning of my life. We were supposed to leave at 9:30 in the morning so that we would be able to make it to the train station at 10:00am. We had to be exactly on time or else everyone would leave without us. We asked Anna Maria (our mom) to make us a lunch for Madrid but I did not expect her to make us breakfast also. Someone once told me that Spaniards dont eat breakfast. False. They eat breakfast. She had prepared us a large cup of hot chocolate with toast. When she makes us a meal here its a big deal and she usually serves it to us and sits down and watches us eat. Sometimes she will eat too but not as much as what she serves us which are VERY LARGE portions. So she served us breakfast at the time we probably should have been walking out the door. But seriously. That hot chocolate was the best hot chocolate I had ever tasted. I mean Trader Joes' is pretty divine but this put Trader Joes' version of hot chocolate to shame. So we ate the breakfast and sprinted outside to catch the bus. We werent even able to get out the door though. Our mom was yelling at us about scarfs. She kept telling us how cold it was and how we need to be wearing scarfs and mittens. "Bufanda!!!" she kept yelling and forced us back into our rooms until we found some scarfs. After finally getting onto a bus we thought was correct, it never proceeded. We were stopped for almost 5 minutes, which is much too long if we needed to be at our destination at 10:00. Now worries the bus proceeded and we were able to make it there right on time to go to Madrid with the group which was so much fun. I absolutely love Madrid! It was so much bigger than I imagined. The streets and architecture were incredible. There is so much to see there...good thing I will be here for three months so I can see it all. Today was just a taste, and later when we go back we will be able to explore a lot more.

I really wish I had more pictures from Madrid but my camera died mid tour.

1 comment:

Amber Christensen said...

is there any way i can get my hands on that hot chocolate? mail me some? give me recipe?